Sunday, October 21, 2007

slash (some) adjectives




This weekend, the local chapter of Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) held a retreat with the author/illustrator Denise Fleming teaching and working with illustrator attendees. She guided us in slashing adjectives and adverbs from our books in progress and spent hours critiquing our books individually. It was a delight.

Her website has wonderful activities for kids of all ages.

www.denisefleming.com


The illustrations above are from the book I'm working on inspired by Mom. They give a good idea of the theme of the book.

Mom is going back on hospice. We are meeting with them again tomorrow. Today she had a strange look about her. There was something different about her eyes. She had the sweetest smile, it brought tears to my eyes.

1 comment:

Granny Annie said...

Your writing, drawings and illustrations are monumentally wonderful!

I'm glad you are seeing sweet smiles and the twinkle in Ann's eyes.

Today I bought some chocolate marshmallow pinwheel cookies and thought of your dad. I never eat one without remembering who taught me to love them.