Saturday, September 29, 2007

Barbara



This is Barbara who is a wonderful caretaker of Mom. She asked me to sketch her so she could send it back home to her family. She moved here a few months ago from Saipan, leaving behind two daughters, her husband, and a family that she is very close to. Barbara is a very sweet soul and takes good care of Mom. She's told me about her mother's legendary donuts, which are sold at the family shop. That may explain the sweetness!

Speaking of yummy things, here is a photo of my grandpa's watermelon's. He was so proud of their size, he posed his little Anna Ruth next to them for comparison of height. Yes, that's Mom. It's the only photo I've ever seen of her as a child. Back to watermelons, Grandpa guarded the patch with a shotgun and would not hesitate to fire a shot. The local high school boys made a sport of trying (unsuccessfully, according to Grandpa) to steal the prized Templer watermelons.

1 comment:

Kay Dennison said...

Annie sent me over! What a lovely blog you're building here! I love your sketches, pictures and commentary. I'll be back and will probably mention your blog on mine -- I think my readers would be interested as we're all getting to ages where we could be walking in your mother's shoes.