Wednesday, September 26, 2007

First Sketch




This blog is an extension of a communication tool I devised for my mother who has dementia. Mom, Ann, age 84, is residing in an adult family home near my home. She doesn't talk much and I keep running out of things to say. So, I thought it might be interesting to sketch her when I visit, while chatting and generally keeping her company for a bit of time each day. She's confined to bed now and is fairly lonely in her room alone so I try my best to drop in as often as possible.

Today she was in a good mood and ate all the ice cream I fed her. We had a nice time together.

The most difficult part of having a parent with dementia, for me, is feeling satisfied with how much I'm helping her. Should I insist that her caretakers get her out of bed, even though Mom hates it? Is she getting enough meds to help with pain? She can't answer those questions for me, so it's a guessing game. One that I don't like to play.

2 comments:

Jamie Dawn said...

I stopped by via Granny Annie's blog.
Your sketches are very emotional. It is good that you are doing this. I think you will cherish these so much.
I'm sure that what your mother is going through is so difficult. I'm glad you are there for her.

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
Hi. Sorry about your Mom. I remember her watching you play piano. This was a very touching heartfelt part of your life you have shared. Do you still play? If you do you should write her a song. If you don't maybe I will.